Monday, February 3, 2014

52 Ancestors - Dorothy Eleanor May Warry (Paterson)

Amy Johnson Crow of No Story Too Small issued the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge.  Each week focus on one ancestor and post something about him or her.

Dorothy as a young woman.
This week is my grandmother Dorothy Eleanor May Warry. I never knew my grandmother as she passed away before I was born. Even growing up I seen very few photos of her. Once I let relatives know that I was researching the family, stories and photos began appearing. Even a few of my camera shy grandma.

Dorothy was the only girl and the oldest child of Alfred William Warry and Edith Elinore Smith. She was born May 26, 1898 in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, England. Dorothy had two younger brothers.  Sydney Alfred Warry born in 1901 and John William Warry born in 1904.

In March 1906, Dorothy's father, Alfred, heads to Canada. I assume to test the waters before he brings the family over. About a year and a half later in November 1907, Dorothy, her mother, and her brothers follow aboard the S.S. Kensington.  It must have been quite the experience for a 9 year old aboard a ship on her way to a new life in a new country. 

In the 1911 census, the family is living in Toronto, Canada. I'm not sure how long the family remains in Toronto. But in the 1921 census,  Dorothy is working as a servant in Edmonton for Charles Tatham, a doctor. Her parents and youngest brother, John are living in Edmonton, as well. Her other brother, Sydney stays out east and ends up in Niagara Falls, United States. 

Dorothy is on the right peeking out.
In January 1922, Dorothy marries Johnston Cumberland Paterson. She becomes a farmer's wife and the mother of four boys, Johnston Danskine Paterson, Alfred Francis Paterson, Bruce Wakeman Paterson, and my Dad, Maurice Cumberland Paterson. Sadly she gives birth to a baby girl in 1934 who only lived a few hours. 

Dorothy must have been quite a busy Mom with four boys.  I know I only had two boys and they could be a handful when they where young. 

Dorothy passes away at 57 on January 7, 1956 at Looma, Alberta. Dorothy never gets to see two of her sons marry. One of my aunts who knew Dorothy, said that one of her sayings was: apple pie without the cheese is like a hug without the squeeze. No wonder my Dad liked cheese with his apple pie.

Other Posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment